Girl killed in Florida shooting ran to mom for help, screaming ‘he shot me’

Girl killed in Florida shooting screamed

T’yonna Major has been identified as a nine-year-old victim killed in a mass shooting near Orlando, Florida (Image: gofundme)

A nine-year-old girl died in a seemingly random mass shooting screamed “shot me” as a gunman broke into her house.

A statement of probable cause for suspect Keith Moses was released Wednesday, revealing more details about a shooting in Florida that left three people dead and two injured.

Following the murder of 38-year-old victim Nathachy Augustin, news crews arrived to cover the shooting. Around 4:05 p.m. that afternoon, police received another 911 call that a reporter had been shot near the site of the first shooting.

The suspect returned to the scene and shot and killed two journalists working for Spectrum News 13 – reporter Dylan Lyons, 24, and photojournalist Jesse Walden, 29.

Dylan Lyons

Spectrum News 13 reporter Dylan Lyons was one of the victims of the shooting (Image: Spectrum News 13)

Two other journalists, whose names were redacted in the affidavit, witnessed a man with “spiky dreadlocks” leave the scene after hearing gunshots. They managed to obtain a video recording of the suspect, which they passed on to investigators.

The suspect then broke into a nearby house, where he shot nine-year-old T’yonna Major twice in the abdomen.

According to the statement, Major’s mother, Brandi Major, was dozing just before the suspect broke into her home. “She (T’yonna Major) told her to gather her dance pieces so they’d be ready when her father got home,” the document reads.

Brandi woke up to her daughter screaming “HE SHOT ME!” as she jumped into bed. Moments later, she heard two shots and felt one hit her shoulder.

Keith Moses, the shooting suspect, is seen in a booking photo after his arrest last Wednesday (Image: AP)

The mother and daughter “barricaded themselves in the master bedroom until law enforcement arrived.” When police arrived on the scene, Brandi described the intruder as wearing the same short dreadlocks and said she believed he had entered her home through a sliding glass door.

The mother said she usually locked the door but sometimes left the sliding door open to let the dog in and out.

Both Brandi and T’yonna were rushed to Arnold Palmer Hospital, where the young girl died of her injuries.

Sheriff’s deputies finally caught up with Moses around 4:30 p.m., less than half a mile from the crime scene, the affidavit said. He had a .40 caliber Glock pistol in his pocket.

Body camera footage captures the moment sheriff’s deputies surround and arrest Keith Moses, less than half a mile from the scene of the shooting (Image: Orange County Sheriff’s Office)
Suspect Keith Moses refused to speak to investigators or medical staff after his arrest (Image: Xinhua/Shutterstock)

“At the time officers discovered the gun, they noted that it was physically hot to the touch, the bolt was in the closed position, and the magazine was still in the magazine well.”

This told detectives that Moses’ gun had recently been fired and that it had been fired until the magazine ran out of ammunition.

In body camera footage released after his arrest, Moses could be heard shouting “they’re killing me!” and “let me go!” when the deputies knocked him to the ground.

Moses was then transported to the Orlando Regional Medical Center for evaluation. At all times, he refused to speak to law enforcement officials or any medical staff at the hospital.

Orange County Sheriff John Mina announces murder charges for suspect Keith Moses (Image: AP)

The affidavit said he communicated through facial expressions, including smiling at deputies and making “hand symbols of arms as he pointed the gun at his head.”

He was then arrested by the police and witnesses identified him as the shooter in the police lineup. They also confirmed that it was the same person in the reporters’ recording – easily recognizable by the characteristic hair.

Moses continued to refuse to speak to investigators, closed his eyes, and pretended to be asleep during the interrogation. “Although his eyes were closed, it was clear he was awake because he was shaking his legs and making faces at the detectives,” the statement read.

It also describes how Moses tried to force his way out of the interrogation room. When he was stopped by deputies, Moses began shouting, “I can’t breathe!”

Got a story? Contact our news team by sending an email to You can also upload your videos and photos here.

More such stories can be found in our news page.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now get articles directly to your device. Sign up here for our daily push notifications.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *