Pokemon Go introduced Primal Reversion as part of Go Tour Hoenn in February 2023, allowing two mighty legends – Kyogre and Groudon – to become even stronger.
Like Mega Evolutions, this is a temporary transformation and requires you to gather Primal Energy from raids and other sources. This will give you energy to party while you’re active – making them useful for Community Day and other events.
How to get Primal Energy in Pokémon Go
As with Mega Evolution, you will need to collect Primary energy for that particular Pokémon.
There are three ways to get Primal Energy IN Pokemon Go:
- Defeat Primal Kyogre or Primal Groudon in raids (80-100 Primal Energy)
- Walking as a buddy after transforming at least once (100 primary energy per 20 km)
- Completing Chasing Legends research (one-time reward of 200 Primal Energy)
The best way to get Kyogre Primal Energy or Primal Groudon is through raids – by taking them and gaining Primal Energy for that particular Pokémon. The faster you defeat them, the more Primal Energy you get as a reward.
It takes many raids of the same Pokémon before you have enough energy to initiate Primal Reverse. you must have 400 Primal Energy to Kyogre or Groudon activate Primal Reversion for the first time in Pokemon Go.
As with Mega Raids, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon will likely not be available all year round and will rarely appear during events starting with Go Tour Hoenn, so make sure you stock up on any Primal Energy before these Pokémon go away.
To energize yourself, be sure to complete Chasing Legends. This is a study that can be started during the hours of the Go Tour Hoenn event and there is no set time limit. Completing this research will grant you an additional 200 Primal Energy for either Kyogre or Groudon, depending on your choice during the “Primal Rumble” special research.
At the time of this writing, it is unknown whether you will also obtain Primal Energy by other methods besides the above – such as completing research quests – as you can with Mega Energy.
How Primal Reversion works in Pokémon Go
Once you get 400 Primal Energy, you can temporarily transform Kyogre or Groudon into their Primal form.
They will be when restored stay in this form for eight hoursand the more transformations they undergo, the less primary energy is needed each time.
In addition to the increased CP and power, there will also be additional perks that can be used while in the original form. You can upgrade them the more you use each primal form, with upgrades in three stages: Basic Level, High Level, and Max Level.
Original reversal bonuses
Kyogre and Groudon in their original form will have the following perks. The exact upgrades for all three tiers – base, high, and max – are yet to be confirmed.
Original Kyogre buffs
- When at your party: An empowered Water-, Electric-, and Bug-type attack for your Pokémon
- As your buddy: Fishing Water-type, Electric-type, and Bug-type will grant extra XP and Candy
Primal Groudon Bonuses
- When at your party: Fire-type, Grass-type, and Ground-type attack buffs for your Pokémon
- As your buddy: Catching Fire, Grass, and Ground types will grant you extra XP and candy
What Primal Pokémon are available in Pokémon Go?
Just Kyogre and Groudon can undergo a primary reversal in Pokemon Go.
In fact, these are also all of the original forms currently available in the main series. Primal Reversion is a concept first introduced in 2014 Ruby Omega AND Alpha Sapphireand so far only these two Pokémon can transform.
This differs from Mega Evolutions in that the main games have countless Mega forms Pokemon Go he hasn’t seen it yet. Although it’s possible Pokemon Go could introduce more primal forms, without their debut in the main series, it’s unlikely.
What else do we know about Primal Reversion?
While Primal Reversion closely mirrors Mega Evolutions, there are some related observations and differences to keep in mind:
- Building on Primal’s Raids debut at Go Tour Hoenn Las Vegas, it’s possible to increase Primal Energy’s average reward from 60-90 to 100 if you can complete an encounter in 30 seconds. With a high CP of over 90,000, you’ll need close to the max raid lobby to do this.
- As with Mega Raids, you’ll only catch pre-evolved Pokémon during the catch phase. These raid encounters have a chance to be shiny, and using a shiny Kyogre or Groudon on the original reverse will adopt the same changed color scheme.
- You cannot activate Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion at the same time, and using one will disable the other if it is currently active (thanks to ThunderDragon356 on reddit for confirmation).
- To emphasize the similarity between the two features, Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversion share the same filter in the in-game Pokédex.
During the Go Tour Hoenn weekend you can also spot Latios or Latias and regional Torkoal, Tropius and Relicanth.